Wednesday, November 17, 2004

thanks...i guess

Well, we're approaching that time of the year where everyone decides it's time to try to remember that we should appreciate our friends, family and be thankful for what we have.
*(and at the same time expect large donations of material objects)*

I've never had a whole lot of interface with the "holiday season." I was raised as a Jehova's Witness, and even though I rejected the faith at a young age I never had much motivation to invest myself in, what they refer to "worldly," holiday goings on. While in a long term relationship with someone that had grown up with the traditions of thanksgiving and christmas I was somewhat beholden to adopt them into my life, but once again I am free to depart from the pop culture celebration of bastardized pagan rituals.

But I must admit that the one thing I approve of about the whole season is the idea that we should stop and remember to appreciate what we have and what we've learned.

So I'm going to be a rebel and start early, I'm going to try to recognize what I have to be thankful for.

Let's see...

I must admit to having made friends with some pretty cool people lately, and at the same time having held onto some pretty cool friends that i've had for years. The people in your life are an important thing to learn to not take for granted, and are one of the hardest things to ever give enough credit for.

I think that I should really be grateful for having a good, reasonable, tolerant, easy-going, and mature roommate. Mark is a good guy, and I appreciate him as a roommate quite a bit, *(and not just because I can use his laptop while my puter is down for the count)*.

I'm thankful to the existence of music that I can enjoy...heh...
I'm listening right now to Incubus, while they're not my favorite band exactly, I like quite a bit of the songs they have made and that counts for quite a bit. But in general, listening to music and just having the ability to hear music that I like definitely improves my mindset and life in general...

I'm not exactly sure if I can be thankful for health...as it seems to be an unsure thing at best, I've had multiple knee injuries in the last twelve months, I'm still getting over a pretty vicious cold, and I have a pulled muscle in my right shoulder...yeah I think I'll skip health for right now...though I would appreciate it if I had it...

I'm most certainly grateful for the fact that I have a job and a place to live and food to eat, in as much as, not to long ago, that was in some serious doubt. I managed to pull out a homerun in the bottom of the ninth in order to take home a tie....because I don't think I can say that I've come up ahead...I've just managed to not quite lose everything.

But, that's something in and of itself. Survival is not something to take for granted either, it is actually one of the things that I like about myself. No matter how far I fall, or how hard I land, I'll always at least get back on my feet. I might find myself standing in a knee deep pile of shit, but at least I'm not lying in it.

So I guess that's what I'm thankful for at this point, that and myself naturally, there are a lot of things about who I am that I like, and they almost equal those that I don't....but that's the way of things right? People are always their worst critics...

Well, that's all for now, oh how quickly we lose inspiration....:P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home