Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The finish line is a cubical with my name on it.

Yes I know that this concept would make a great many of you very sad. But for me it is the height of glory and redemption. My soul weeps with joy at the prospect of once again working with computers in a clean, relaxed, low-impact environment and getting paid well to do it. This has been my longest stretch of unemployment in my adult life. And while I recognize that I'm pretty lucky to be able to say that, at the same time I feel that even six weeks is too long to be an unemployed couch surfer. I could have had a dozen different jobs by now, but I held out for the one I came up here for because I knew that, in the long run, it would be worth it. No more kitchens, no more coming home smelling like a restaurant dumpster, no more getting called in at the last minute and actually GOING because I feel responsible for the welfare of the business. Nine to five, Monday through Friday, casual dress, good health benefits, nothing more need be said on that.

OK, to catch those up who may not know what the hell I'm talking about considering that this blog is dedicated largely to my experiences in Yosemite. I've moved back to Eugene. In a manner that, I know now, was nothing short of ill advised. I gave two weeks notice to the Ahwahnee, I called my friend to come pick me up, and I saved about $1500 to live off of till I found work. A few problems came up in transit, $200 for gas, $50 for my bike to come along, I bought my friends debt from someone else which was to the tune of $360, and had to buy clothes that fit and would be suitable for an office setting as that's the employment I was seeking, which was another $200+. So with just less than $700 I set out to live in the bustling metropolis of Eugene for what I figure by all accounts will be about 2-3 weeks maximum before employment hits. More the fool I. So here I am six weeks later, having spent that $700 pretty swiftly I have since been picking up a dollar here or there with odd jobs, and supplementing that with poker, and whatever my friend can afford to pay me back. I've been managing to make enough to survive, but not enough to really get anywhere with.

But that's all over with thankfully. Got the job, it's good stuff, and while I can't say that just having this job and income makes me happy, because nothing can "make" you happy, I can say that a decent level of stress, frustration, personal questioning, and general concern have been abated.

So that's the life and times of Richie Harris, where in this we learn that while you can't buy happiness, you can certainly be in debt for it.

Thank you for reading, I wish you all your dreams gift wrapped with a card that says, "You deserve it"

DiCK_BiLL

1 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

Congratulations, Richie! The only thing worse than having a job is looking for one, so I'm glad your unemployment has come to a good end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home